A Northern Retreat
Aside from the scenery, there are an abundance of places to visit and things to do in the North-Western Highlands. Amongst the most worthwhile are the following:
- A day trip to the marvelous Inverewe Gardens, some 90 miles of wonderful driving distant.
- A day trip to Handa Island, a famous Scottish Wildlife Trust Island, with enormous colonies of birds breeding on huge cliffs.
- There are regular trips round the Summer Isles from Achiltibue or Ullapool, or to the Outer Hebrides from Ullapool.
- Knockan Geological Trail is a excellent and well labeled trail detailing the internationally important local geology responsible for the local area's beauty.
- There is a craft village at Balnakeil, just West of Durness, including pottery by Lotte Glob.
- James Hawkins is a famous painter at Rhue Studio, near Ullapool
- Kilmorack Gallery is excellent, with a superb photographic shop, Ffordes of Broallan, next door.
- Day trips to the Orkneys from John o' Groats are within range, and fascinating, but require a very early start.